[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

Donna K. Byron dbyron at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Mar 28 19:53:14 UTC 2008

We are working on a project that will involve sending prescription medication names to a Text-to-speech engine (Loquendo). Med names are notoriously OOV and the preferred pronunciations are difficult to predict from the spellings.  We have found some pronunciations in medical dictionaries, but there are around 1000 more that we haven't found a source for (mostly trade names). There are so many projects out there dealing with e-health or medical interaction of various sorts, it occurs to me that this problem might have been tackled already.  Does anyone know of a phonemic pronunciation dictionary of medication names that's relatively comprehensive?  I realize that the set of medication names grows every day, but any list we could find would be helpful.  We would prefer something free, but a low cost option would also be alright. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Best,

Donna Byron