[Corpora-List] Paraphrase generator

Nitin Madnani nmadnani at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 02:42:09 UTC 2008

Hi Imtiaz,

I am not aware of a pre-packaged paraphrase generator per se but the
task of automatic paraphrase generation has been worked on heavily by
the community in the last 5-7 years and some of these automatic
techniques are quite easy to implement.

Here are some of the more important papers in paraphrasing:
(1) Regina Barzilay and Lillian Lee, Learning to Paraphrase, ACL 2003
(2) Chris Quirk, Chris Brockett and William Dolan. Monolingual Machine
Translation for Paraphrase Generation. COLING 2004
(3) Colin Bannard and Chris Callison-Burch, Paraphrasing using
Bilingual Corpora, ACL 2005

There is also the our work on broad-coverage full-sentence paraphrase
generation:
(4) Nitin Madnani, Necip Fazil Ayan, Philip Resnik, Bonnie Dorr. Using
Paraphrases for Parameter Tuning in Statistical Machine Translation.
2007. Proceedings of the ACL Workshop on Statistical Machine
Translation.

There is also a large body of work on extracting lexical and
phrase-level paraphrases from monolingual corpora. For a comprehensive
list of paraphrasing papers present and past, I refer you to the
excellent bibliography maintained here:
http://sslab.nuee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~fujita/paraphrase/bib-cat.html

Hope this helps,
Nitin

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Khan, I. H. <i.h.khan at abdn.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any paraphrase generator availble to use? For example, given 'the
> old men and the old women' the paraphrase generator may paraphrase it as:
> 'the old men and women', 'the old women and the old men', 'the old women and
> men', 'the old persons',...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> Imtiaz
>

> The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.

Got Blog?
http://greenideas.blogspot.com