[Corpora-List] FW: Gender differences in language

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Mar 30 03:23:24 UTC 2008

James L. Fidelholtz wrote:
> Without denying that some of us (who, through modesty, will remain
> nameless) *do* have logorrheic impulses...

(and I am one of the worst offenders)

> Personally, I find two good things about this list:
 >
 > 1) it has more good discussions than any other list I can think of...
 >
 > 2) it is by far the most helpful list I know of...

As it happens, the next msg in my mailbox was from Linguist List, with
the topic "Discuss: Your Ideas in the New Linguistics Forum!".  The
forum in question (at
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/blackwell/compass_index.cfm) provides links
to linguistics articles (currently four of them); the Linguist List
posting mentions that several of the comment boards are now blank, so
it's safe to say that those forums are underutilized.  (Of course,
there's a danger of hijacking an article's forum for some unrelated
discussion.)

It's also the case that Linguist List book reviews are intended to be
the seed of a discussion, although they almost never get discussed on LL
after the initial posting of a review.

So in addition to the corpora mailing list, there are other places
specifically set up for discussion, albeit with some constraints on what
the discussion is supposed to be about.
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?