[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

Lucian Galescu lgalescu at ihmc.us
Sun Mar 30 04:03:47 UTC 2008

Generics are named by chemists, and there are some regulations/
guidelines on what to call them (for example, drugs in the same class
tend to have a shared stem, which could be a prefix, an infix or a
suffix)  which makes for rather baroque neologisms.

Pharmaceutical companies probably spend small fortunes on finding good
names for their drugs, in recognition of the fact that names make
money. Many times, a successful drug name is recycled if it has proven
a successful seller; for example at least four drugs sold under the
name Mylanta have different active ingredients or combinations
thereof. On the other hand, when they do have to come up with a new
name, they have a tough task: the name must be distinctive, not too
similar with the generic name or another proprietary name, not
suggestive of something that it's not going to deliver (think Rogaine,
initially proposed as Regaine!), but, at the same time, it has to be
memorable.

Three or four years back FDA announced that it started using a system
called POCA (standing for Phonetic and Orthographic Computer Analysis)
to analyze proposed proprietary names for possible orthographic and/or
phonetic confusion with existing drug names. For all I know not much
has been said about it since, but I understand that it is in use. Greg
Kondrak and Bonnie Dorr worked on that system; it occurs to me that
they must have had access to or compiled a pronunciation dictionary
(presumably from the USP Dictionary) though it's quite possible that
it isn't a free resource (I'd be interested in it, too, if it were!).
Here's an article about their research:
Kondrak, Grzegorz, and Bonnie J. Dorr, "Identification of Confusable
Drug Names: A New Approach and Evaluation Methodology",Journal of AI
in Medicine, Volume 36:1, pp. 29--42, 2006. PDF

Lucian

* * *
Lucian Galescu, PhD
Research Scientist, IHMC