[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

James L. Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:49:29 UTC 2008

Hi, All (and sorry, Marc: yours just happened to be the last msg in this
thread),

Khurshid Ahmad <kahmad at cs.tcd.ie> wrote: ...
"... short messages that may or may not be related to corpus linguistics or
corpora-based studies...."

Due to the nature of the tera-word corpora currently in circulation, I find
it very difficult to wrap my mind around the notion of a msg of *any* length
being unrelated to corpus linguistics or corpus-based studies. At the very
least it could be (and probably will be) corpus data at some point. Beware,
flamers! -- your excesses are doomed to immortality.

By the way, Emiliano (from a different thread that Khurshid actually seems
to have been responding to), my response to your contribution to that thread
contains several (5, not counting the name of the list itself) occurrences
of the word 'corpus' and morphologically-derived words (OK, admittedly in an
off-thread paragraph, but which itself sparked a little discussion, which is
at the least my point in all of this).

Jim

On 3/31/08, Marc FRYD <marc.fryd at univ-poitiers.fr> wrote:

> Dear Corpora-listers,
> A given topic may be of little interest to some and absolutely thrilling
> to others. I fall into the second category as regards the bio-med
> pronunciations thread.
> With best regards,
> Marc FRYD
>

> Khurshid Ahmad a écrit :
>
> Dear Colleagues
> Upon returning from a brief time (3 days) away from my e-mail - I found it
> clogged with short messages that may or may not be related to corpus
> linguistics or corpora-based studies.  Respect the bandwidth friends.
>

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Dr DJ Hatch wrote:
>

> Mike Maxwell and Lucian Galescu  may well have just offered the most
> persuasive argument in favour of literacy I¹ve come across.
>

>  	To me it sounds like the most persuasive argument against
> trademarking and branding that I've seen.  The problem wouldn't exist if
> the drug companies put enough effort into pronouncability and auditory
> distinctiveness, and didn't find it necessary to differentiate their own
> product so dramatically from their competitors'.
>
>  					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
>  					grvsmth at panix.com_______________________________________________
>
>     Khurshid Ahmad
>
> Professor of Computer Science