[Corpora-List] Distance & word context.

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu May 1 16:06:46 UTC 2008

JW> I am interested in any works that deal with the concept of
 > distance as opposed to (or in addition to) say frequency counts
 > or roles/positions within grammatical constructs.

There are many different notions of 'distance'.  One example
is the term "semantic distance", for which Google provides
26,700 hits.

 > does anybody know of any (perhaps more linguistically oriented)
 > works that discuss the existence/importance of *very* long range
 > dependencies and associations in text (e.g. Dear... Yours,
 > Results... Conclusion, etc), and the role these play when
 > considering word context.

Some such connections can be defined by context-free rules:

    Letter  ->  Salutation  Body  ComplimentaryClose

The two terms "salutation" and "complimentary close" give
16,400 hits on Google.

John Sowa