[Corpora-List] Distance and word context

W. Louw louw at mango.zw
Sat May 3 19:30:02 UTC 2008

Costas hits the nail on the head here! But collocation would be hopeles if it
could not AUTOMATE the process.

So, if we use collocation to automate Firth's remark from the analogue
period:"...one meaning of the word DARK is its collocability with NIGHT..." we
do so by CO-SELECTION and watch closely the SORT to the right when we reach OF
13 to 21 below.

Note that what GROWS is something that Hoey (2005) and Whitsitt (2005) say does
not EXIST : a SEMANTIC PROSODY. Shhhhh! Don't tell Michael and Sam.

Besides, a guy has to find something to do in the dark night of vote-counting!

Bill Louw
Head
English Department
Faculty of Arts
University of Zimbabwe

MicroConcord search SW: night CW: dark
80 characters per entry
Sort : 1R/SW    unshifted.
    1 he 'rec' is really dark and scary at night and I never go near it. I've
been tol
    2 ition along Glen Road. It was a dark night and  there was no lighting.
The sol
    3 to the naked eye on a dark, moonless night at only about 1,000. Objects
as faint
    4 ool nearby. "You could not go out at night, because after dark they just
killed
    5 with musketry, opened upon us.   The night being extremely dark, it was
only the
    6 dier being confronted in the dark of night by a moving vehicle. That is a
differ
    7  Brighton was. Dark pier (OK, it was night), dark arcades, dark flats
there must
    8 hut, an eerie murmur filled the dark night. "Don't worry about that, it's
just t
    9 om behind and spoke to you on a dark night. His would be the voice that
was comi
   10 re are not many stray breasts on the night I meet the Dark Blues for
their 3,501
   11  we would not care to meet on a dark night; I still cannot understand the
Golden
   12 r'. They are there for you on a dark night in January, not just in the
sunshine

   13 y back to 1978, just before the dark night of Thatcherism fell upon
Tory-occupie
   14 itian people have awoken from a dark night of fear to a new dawn of
hope," he sa
   15 e broody and moody. In the real dark night of his soul, it can always be
three o
   16 augham as "a sudden hope in the dark night of the soul", the pagoda is
the most
   17  a starry sky for Mr WW's final dark night of the soul before our
redeemed hero
   18 aitian people have moved from a dark night of fear to a new dawn of
hope."   Des
   19  had personally experienced the dark night of the soul.      </Group>
</Story>
   20 d to keep hope alive during the dark night of dictatorship. For this he
is honou
   21 tter (duly trotted out are "the dark night of the soul", "let there be
light", "

   22 done that, he then sensibly took the night off. A pleasant, dark-haired
lady sho
   23 nd started laughing loudly. The dark night outside the glass walls and
room was
   24 ct the Earth wants to meet on a dark night. Several hundred thousand more
are mo
   25  drivers to "see" in the dark, using night sights like those used on RAF
fighter
   26  Europe. Dark Star (Grafton, ø4.99), Night Soldier (HarperCollins,
ø5.99), and T
   27 llop   On a dark, miserable winter's night stuck on a lonely road miles
from any
   28 ertising the extremely dark 'Arabian Night'. The density of the blackness
of thi
   29 on its two-hour, half-dark midsummer night, the inhabitants don't go to
bed at a
   30 ts frame. There is the dark world of night-thoughts, the ardent landscape
of the
   31 a flash of lightning on a pitch-dark night; the scene it illuminated was
lurid b
   32 lm on a dark and frostbound Saturday night to Lam and Kellett, and a
knock on th
   33 nsible.   Wharton-Tigar chose a dark night to make a personal
reconnaissance and
   34 e, of course, referring to that dark night two years ago when the
Portuguese sco
   35 ed through the government lobby that night wearing dark glasses and
holding thei
   36 , but the atmosphere has changed. At night, West Beirut is dark.   "Come
on, Tim
   37 ring in the pitch dark of a moonless night when the boat was surfing the
swells
   38 .   Anderson's orchestral piece Dark Night, which won the Royal
Philharmonic Soc