[Corpora-List] phonetic corpora as another means to measure language distances

J Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 8 19:13:52 UTC 2008

Dear Yuri,

I may be showing my ignorance here, but isn't it likely that phonetic
distance varies as much between the origin of the speaker, as between
languages themselves? English spoken in various regions of Great
Britain (which barely differ when written) is a case in point.

I have, on occasion, listening to some people from Newcastle and not
understanding the words that they were speaking (a common enough
occurrence for me, coming from Cambridge), thought that they sounded
rather like native speakers of Dutch, or perhaps one of the
Scandinavian languages. As I don't understand these languages, I would
assume that a large part of this association was to do with the
phonetic content. Similarly, on rarer occasions when I have heard
people from my own part of the country speaking and for a moment not
understood what they were saying, I have registered it as something
more like German.

I don't think it is even an issue of regional dialects: it seems to me
that the phonetic signature of any language spoken by a non-native
speaker, or spoken as a second language, is generally skewed heavily
towards the phonetic content of their native region and/or first
language.

Can I ask how these issues factor in your research? For example, are
you taking spoken corpora for each language from a very broad
cross-section of speaker-regions, or are you also measuring phonetic
distance between speaker-regions for a broad cross-section of
languages and using this as some kind of contrast?

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds