[Corpora-List] Job Opportunity: NLP Software Developer

Dean Jones dean.m.jones at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:17:07 UTC 2008

Job Title: Natural Language Processing Software Developer

Company: numero (http://www.thisisnumero.com)

Location: Stockport (South Manchester), UK.

Salary: in the range £22K to £35K, depending on experience and
qualifications.

Job Description:
We're looking for someone with expertise in natural language
processing as well as Java software development. This is a fantastic
opportunity for the right candidate to join an existing team of
highly-talented software engineers working on the development of our
flagship product, SmartAgent.

SmartAgent provides an integrated messaging platform which allows
contact centres to manage customer correspondence across multiple
channels. We utilise a range of advanced technologies, including
natural language processing, machine learning, web services and
workflow, to provide a product which increases the efficiency and
quality with which correspondence received by high-volume contact
centres can be processed. Our natural language processing technology
originated

The successful applicant will be responsible for research and
development of NLP technologies and their integration into our
rapidly-evolving product. The main responsibilities of this post will
be:

- applied research in natural language processing, including the
development of new algorithms and approaches, and the implementation
of existing state-of-the-art algorithms
- the full lifecycle of software development, including specification,
design, implementation, documentation and maintenance
- design and implementation of improvements to existing algorithms and
architecture
- innovative application of our technology to new areas, helping to
grow our business

Requirements:
You should have a first or upper-second class degree (or equivalent)
in a technical subject such as Computer Science. You should also have
experience in the following areas:

- natural language processing (particularly machine-learning
approaches to document classification and named entity recognition;
topics such as information retrieval, morphological analysis and
grammar checking are also relevant)
- software development using Java

You may have gained relevant experience in natural language processing
by, for example:

- completing a PhD focused on a topic in NLP
- carrying out a substantial amount of work in NLP in the course of
obtaining an advanced MSc
- developing NLP software, e.g. while working in commercial research
and development

Additionally, experience in any of the following areas will be
relevant and useful (but are not essential):
- applications of machine learning to natural language processing
- SOAP-based web services
- use of Spring and Hibernate
- production rule systems
- content management systems

About Us:
numero is a privately-held software development company based in
Stockport, near Manchester, UK. We are a very successful, growing
company which currently employs around 50 people, having started with
just 6 people in 2002. Our main product, SmartAgent, is used to handle
customer correspondence for many of the UK's best known retailers.
Please see our website for more details: http://www.thisisnumero.com.

This is an exciting and potentially very rewarding opportunity for the
right candidate to make a real impact on our business. If you are
interested in this opportunity, please e-mail your CV to:
dean.jones at thisisnumero.com