[Corpora-List] ACL Video Archive - invitation to participate

Reinhard Rapp reinhardrapp at gmx.de
Fri May 30 10:22:23 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

The advances in video technology and broadband
communication have made it possible that in
the research centres of many large companies
scientific presentations are nowadays routinely
recorded on video and made available via network
to employees who are interested but can not attend
in person. Although these are normally in-house
activities that go unnoticed by the public, in some
cases such videos have been published on the
internet, e.g. at

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayinst.aspx?fID=880

(Thanks to Ken Church for pointing this out.)

Obvious advantages of videos are the independence
of time and location, time and cost savings, and that
presenters can reach a wider audience without additional
effort.

In acknowledging these developments, at last year's
ACL conference in Prague, as one of the new ACL
initiatives, it has been suggested to also start
such activities in computational linguistics, and
in the meantime a video archive with some sample
videos has been set up at

http://www.aclweb.org/videoarchive

Although there are many other video websites around,
none of them is specialized in computational linguistics,
and none of them seems to solve the true bottleneck,
which is that currently hardly any recordings are being
made at computational linguistics conferences, research
seminars, and other meetings.

What we therefore propose is to do so in the framework
of a community driven non-profit initiative, comparable
in spirit to wikipedia or open source software.

As high quality presentations worth being recorded
are given at places all over the world, none of us can
attend them all. Therefore, the success of this initiative
will depend on the support by volunteers who make
the recordings, and of course of the presenters who,
in the best spirit of international scientific communication,
are generous enough to allow the free publication of their
invaluable work.

We would therefore be grateful for any support that
you might be able to provide: Be it knowledge on
existing recordings, ideas about new recordings,
help with making recordings, and technical, legal,
or any other advise. For example, if you happen to
know about freely available CL videos that are hosted
elsewhere, we will be happy to link to them from the
video archive. It is a wide field where mostly enthusiasm
counts and where probably all of us can make a
contribution.

Therefore, if you have some interest in such matters,
we would be glad if you could let us know your
e-mail address, so that among all interested (and
without bothering the others) we can start a discussion
what our goals should be, and how together we can
achieve them.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bonnie Dorr, Dragomir Radev
Reinhard Rapp, Chris Biemann