[Corpora-List] i-mean conference 23-25 April 08

Kate Beeching Kate.Beeching at uwe.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 17:22:28 UTC 2008

Hello corpora list,

As Head of our International Corpus Linguistics Research Unit at UWE, Bristol, can I draw your attention to our conference next April. I'd be delighted to see some papers on using corpora to explore meaning.

Best wishes,

Kate.

The Department of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies at the University of the West of England, Bristol invites you to attend its first three day conference on Meaning and Interaction.

i-Mean will be held at the University of the West of England, Bristol on April, 23rd- 25th 2009.

About i-Mean at uwe

The conference aims to disseminate cutting edge, multi-disciplinary, research in the area of meaning in interaction. It is unique in bringing together scholars working on meaning in interaction and others working on the impact of interaction on language structure. The two constituencies share an interest in the manner in which meaning is co-constructed and negotiated between interactants, thus leading to a form/function reconfiguration. The complexities of the interpretation of meaning can be more acute in intercultural encounters. The conference thus extends its scope to include the relatively new sub-discipline of intercultural pragmatics. It is timely in reflecting a rising interest, across a number of fields, in issues in interpreting meaning.

Key note speakers

We are pleased to announce

Professor Janet Holmes, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ,

Professor Elizabeth Traugott, Stanford University, USA,

Dr Francesca Bargiela-Chiappini, University of Nottingham Trent,

Dr Helen Spencer-Oatey, University of Warwick,

Dr Véronique Traverso, Université de Lyon

as this year's invited plenary speakers.

Call for papers

Papers are invited which draw on empirical data to elucidate the relationship between function and form, as it is played out in interactions.

 The conference covers but is not limited to the following key topics:

*	Discourse in Professional Contexts
*	From synchrony to diachrony: context bound interpretation of interaction and form/function shifts
*	Intercultural Pragmatics
*	Issues and Methodologies in interpreting meaning.
*	Corpus-based research

The conference will host two colloquia on:

-         Workplace Discourse

-         Meaning in Diachrony

Abstracts of no more than 250 words (max and including references, if necessary) are invited. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is the 05th January 2009. Abstracts should not include the name and affiliation of the author(s). Further details and a submission form will be published on the i-Mean website soon and details will be circulated. Abstracts should be sent to imean at uwe.ac.uk <mailto:imean at uwe.ac.uk>

** A separate call for papers will be circulated for the two colloquia shortly **

Please note that no late submissions will be accepted and all submissions will be peer-reviewed.

Authors will be notified of acceptance by 02 February 2009

Registration and Accommodation details will be circulated in November 2008

We look forward to seeing you at i-mean at uwe 2009

For further information please contact

Dr Jo Angouri (Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk <mailto:Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk> ), Dr Kate Beeching (Kate.Beeching at uwe.ac.uk )

Dr. Kate Beeching, Reader, Linguistics and French
Award Leader, MA in Translation by Distance Learning
Head, International Corpus Linguistics Research Unit (ICLRU)
Field Leader, Languages
University of the West of England, Bristol
Faculty of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences
Frenchay Campus
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol BS16 1QY
Room: 5E24