[Corpora-List] a corpus-based learner English study gets published

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:44:08 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues

I am glad to announce that my PhD thesis in learner English corpus study,
under Professor Susan Hunston in the University of Birmingham, has been
published by Linguistics Journal at the following website:
http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php

The title of the thesis is:
Verbs in the Written English of Chinese Learners: A Corpus-based Comparison
between Non-native Speakers and Native Speakers

Examiners: Dr. Mike Scott (external) and Dr. Martin Hewings (internal)

Time of submission: October, 2006

I have been trying to have this published since the submission of the thesis
to the university because I believe that this research is useful to learner
English studies, English teaching and learning and perhaps SLA; and that
such of a thesis with so much whole-hearted dedication should not stay idle
in the university library, especially when corpus linguistics is becoming
popular and being accepted by many neighbouring disciplines. The research
was completed over six long years in which I used approximately four years
time on study and the other two years on part-time work for the tuition fees
and supporting my family.

I am grateful to all those who have helped me in one way or another (I hope
I have included everybody in my acknowledgements, pardon me if I haven't).
Also, may I thank all those of you who have replied to my queries on the
Corpora mailing list regarding learner English studies during my PhD
research?

I do hope this piece of research bring my two cents in learner English study
to the corpora world. Your comments are warmly welcome.

Currently, I am running a language centre in Birmingham to make a living
(teaching English and Chinese) but have not stopped seeking an academic job
in corpus linguistics or a relevant area around the world.

All the best wishes

Xiaotian Guo
Director
New Vision Language Centre