[Corpora-List] BAWE corpus now archived and available

jasper holmes jasper.holmes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:29:14 UTC 2008

Dear Corpora

We are pleased to announce that the British Academic Written English
(BAWE) corpus is now available to all researchers via We are pleased
to announce that the British Academic Written English (BAWE) corpus is
now available to all researchers via the Oxford Text Archive (resource
number 2539 http://ota.ahds.ac.uk/headers/2539.xml).  The corpus and
end-of-award report are also available to ESRC award holders via
UKDA-store http://store.data-archive.ac.uk .

The 6.5 million word corpus was developed with ESRC funding as part of
the project entitled 'An investigation of genres of assessed writing
in British Higher Education' (RES-000-23-0800). It contains 2761 files
of proficient student writing, fairly evenly distributed across four
levels of study and four broad disciplinary areas (Arts and
Humanities, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, and Physical Sciences).
The files are available in three formats: XML UTF-8, XML ASCII and
Plain Text. A corpus manual explaining the encoding conventions is
included as part of the deposit.

There are no restrictions on access to the corpus for research
purposes, and we welcome such use, which should be acknowledged as
follows: "The data in this study come from the British Academic
Written English (BAWE) corpus, which was developed at the Universities
of Warwick, Reading and Oxford Brookes under the directorship of
Hilary Nesi and Sheena Gardner (formerly of the Centre for Applied
Linguistics [previously called CELTE], Warwick), Paul Thompson
(Department of Applied Linguistics, Reading) and Paul Wickens
(Westminster Institute of Education, Oxford Brookes), with funding
from the ESRC (RES-000-23-0800)."

Please inform us of output in the form of dissertations, theses,
presentations or publications arising from analysis of the corpus, so
that we can mention it when reporting to our sponsors.

Jasper