[Corpora-List] Commercial/competitive value of training data

Seth Grimes grimes at altaplana.com
Wed Oct 22 13:28:32 UTC 2008

Have others considered the competitive value of training data?

I'm referring to data that would be usable for commercial purposes, unlike
data provided through the Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC) for research
purposes.  The trade-off for a commercial organization is the opportunity
to recapture the expense of annotating a data set against the risk of
accelerating time to market, or promoting a sale at one's own expense, of
a competing product or service.

My premise is that a software system's greatest value lies in what it can
do with the training data rather than in the training data itself.  But
what considerations do others see?

Thanks,

 					Seth

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
               Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor