[Corpora-List] Summary: Studies of spelling error frequency in journalistic text

Paul McNamee paul.mcnamee at jhuapl.edu
Thu Sep 4 20:08:39 UTC 2008

I only received responses from Paul Rayson and Alistair Baron of Lancaster
University regarding my interest in studies of spelling error frequency
in journalistic text.  Here's the summary.

They pointed me to two papers.

The paper by Church and Gale (1991) stated a rate equivalent to 1
error per 2000 words for the Associated Press but they did not give a
citation for that figure.

This is not news, but the paper by Mitton (as does his book) reports
a rate of 25 errors per thousand for handwritten essays by secondary
school students, though there was considerable variation between good
spellers and poor spellers.

Here are the papers:

@Article{Church:1991,
   title =	"Probability Scoring for Spelling Correction",
   author =	"Kenneth Ward Church and William A. Gale",
   journal =	"Statistics and Computing",
   year =  "1991",
   number =	"2",
   volume =	"1",
   pages =	"93--103",
}

@Article{Mitton:1987,
   title =	"Spelling Checkers, Spelling Correctors and the Misspellings of Poor Spellers",
   author =	"Roger Mitton",
   journal =	"Information Processing and Management",
   year =  "1987",
   volume =	"23",
   number =	"5",
   pages =	"495-505",