[Corpora-List] Corpus vs Intuition

Gemma Boleda gboleda at lsi.upc.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:09:02 UTC 2008

Dear Mai,

in my experience, it's fruitless (and very frustrating) to try and
convince "armchair linguists" to change their methodology, they just
don't see the point. I remember once I tried to convince a PhD student
that the data-gathering methodology in linguistics is less than
satisfactory, and argued that the community should start using
Psycholinguistic methods to gather reliable linguistic data. He said
that's not an adequate methodology, because the goal of linguistics is
to model the internal grammar of a single speaker (an argument that
somehow sounded familiar to me...). I asked him how one could falsify
the hypotheses made, or even reproduce the results, and he looked kind
of puzzled. But I didn't manage to move his position even half a
milimeter. (Maybe I should have asked what happened when that single
speaker died...)

So I think the way to go is to "predicate with the example" (is that an
expression in English too?). That is, instead of convincing people that
using corpora (or analysing linguistic phenomena with statistical
methods, or gathering data with Psycholinguistic methods) is useful, do
it yourself and try to publish in linguistic fori (which is sometimes
difficult, because, you know, editors and reviewers are usually armchair
linguists; but if you have good linguistic arguments it should be
feasible; see, e.g., Sorace & Keller 2005). My hope --and I am a born
optimistic, I must say-- is that little by little the message will
spread and theoretical linguists will start using corpora, statistical
analysis, or maybe even computational techniques to carry out research
on theoretical linguistics. Thus quantitative linguistics, corpus
linguistics, glottometrics, etc. will no longer be separate areas of
research (with separate communities, journals, etc.), and we'll all be
doing simply linguistics. But it's us who have to provide the proof of
concept for the change to take place.

REF: Sorace, A. and Keller, F. 2005. Gradience in linguistic data .
Lingua 115: 1497-1524.

Best,

Gemma Boleda
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya