[Corpora-List] Corpus vs Intuition

Thierry Fontenelle thierryf at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 17 16:50:12 UTC 2008

Dear Mai,

I guess the following paper will interest you (the title itself says it all):

Fillmore, C. (1992). ' "Corpus linguistics" or "Computer-aided armchair linguistics" ', in Svartvik, J. (ed.), Directions in Corpus Linguistics, Proceedings of Nobel Symposium 82, Stockholm, August 1991. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 35-66.

Fillmore taps corpora because he is interested in finding out about lexical and structural features of a language which he would most certainly miss, were he exclusively relying upon his own intuition and speculations. I find the demonstration fascinating.

Fillmore's paper is reprinted in the recently published Reader<http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199292349&view=00&promo=websocdgfs&salepage=%2Fsale%2Fwebsocdgfs%2F>, which includes a number of other papers that show why corpora are crucial:

Fontenelle, T. (ed) Practical Lexicography: A Reader, Oxford University Press, 2008.

See also Atkins & Rundell's "Oxford Guide to Practical Lexicography<http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199277711>" (OUP, 2008), which provides all the evidence you need to explain the advantages of corpus-based work.

I hope it helps,

Best wishes,

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle