[Corpora-List] Announcing T-REX 2010

Patrick Juola juola at mathcs.duq.edu
Sun Aug 2 00:23:31 UTC 2009

(Sorry for multiple copies of this announcement; please feel free to
circulate to your colleagues and to other lists.)

Dear colleagues,

ANNOUNCING T-REX 2010!

TADA (the Text Analysis Developers' Alliance) and Duquesne University
welcome your participation in T-REX 2010, the TADA Research Evaluation
eXchange.

Following the success of T-REX 2008 at Digital Humanities 2009
(University of Maryland), we are happy to continue the tradition of a
multifaceted, multicategory "best ideas" forum for the development and
exchange of ideas in the field of "text analysis" (broadly defined).
We invite all interested participants to share in the next round and
to help us expand our offerings.

The only hard and fast rule at this point is : ''All participants must
participate!''

T-REX is modelled after both competitions (such as TREC) as well as
less formal idea exchanges(such as MIREX). We hope to stimulate
creative competition and the exchange of ideas about questions such as
what we can do with texts, how to do it best, and why we would want to
do it in the first place.

To do this, we hope to generate a set of collaborative "challenges" to
which participants will submit ideas/solutions. All ideas will be
"judged" by a panel of judges (to be determined); this judging may
involve the actual running of code provided by participants or
peer-review by volunteer experts. Entries judged to be the best will
receive valuable Pittsburgh-themed prizes (such as bottles of Heinz
products).

At this stage, we are looking for participants (people willing to take
part), sponsors (organizations and groups willing to support T-REX),
challenge problems, and creative input in general.

Please help support T-REX, text analysis, and the digital humanities.
Simply go to the wiki at http://tada.mcmaster.ca/Main/TREX, register
yourself, and start contributing!

Patrick Juola
TREX 2010 Organizer