[Corpora-List] Creating a Corpus - Annotator Background?

Stuart Moore stuart.moore at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 7 13:16:46 UTC 2009

Hi all

I'm trying to create a word sense disambiguation corpus.

I'm trying to decide what information should be collected on each
annotator - e.g. first language, profession (especially whether
they're a "Professional Linguist", or "Computational Linguistics
Researcher"...), any relevant education ("Degree in Linguistics",
"Degree in English", "Degree in another language")...

Are there any standard questions to ask of this form? I'm hoping to
have 10-20 annotators  from a variety of backgrounds, each annotating
a few hundred examples. I don't think that background will make a
difference on my particular task, but without the right information I
can't actually show that.

I've tried looking for relevant papers, but so far haven't found any
'standard' list of questions to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Stuart Moore