[Corpora-List] Call for Papers: Mining User-Generated Content for Security - MINUCS 2009

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:28:21 UTC 2009

2009/8/12 Kais Dukes <kais.dukes at jqurantree.org>:
> Here is a good quote by Richard von Weizsäcker:
>
> "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning
> responsibility, looking away, keeping mum."

Yes, well, money is tight and employment chances are always
uncertain.  It is nice to supplement one's pay with consulting
contracts from marketing companies or the NSA or Homeland
Security.    You never know what sort of disappointment you can
run into when expressing concern or a contrary opinion, who
knows, one's career may be in check. Besides, we're all busy,
and who has time to debate ethics? I get headaches even thinking
about it, cause you know people debating ethical questions are
always kind of soft-in-the-head, kind of crazy, and never want
to give up the point they're holding on to, even when they're clearly
wrong.  So I don't see why a conference should give voice to these
crazy-loon ideas anyway. Its just not the right forum.

-- linas

Special notice to the sarcasm-impaired: the above message
contains a sarcastic point of view.  Please be aware that all is
not as it seems.