[Corpora-List] Call for Papers: Mining User-GeneratedContent for Security - MINUCS 2009

Mcenery, Tony eiaamme at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Sat Aug 15 13:43:53 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I guess we should take this discussion off line at some point as it could go on for some time. However, I feel I should make a few points to explain why I found the call for papers startling. I have little doubt that most, indeed perhaps all, of the people doing this work are well intentioned and have no desire to engage in any wrong doing. Indeed I know a couple of people on the organizing committee and know that they are good researchers who would never dream of harming a fly. However, as the point made by Linas responded to under point one below shows, other agencies when they have the technology may put it to much more malign uses. While Aalborg University may be benign, are the end users of technologies such as this equally benign? The answer is 'almost certainly not' - indeed it is also quite possibly the case that the qualms that researchers feel in applying the techniques to material that is not freely available may also not be shared by those end users. I am sure you can put together a timeline analysis of mobile phone tracking technologies that shows a host of projects funded for innocent ends or with well meaning security applications in mind. However, to pick up on Linas' point, this is exactly the technology which was then sold by Nokia-Siemens to the Iranian government which allowed it to so successfully track and suppress protesters using mobile phones. This is only an isolated - though in my opinion tragic - example of how research which has an intended benign purpose can be misused (and at a handsome profit for the telecoms industry too). See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/5719599/Big-brother-is-watching-The-technologies-that-keep-track-of-you.html for an interesting article on such technologies.

The point has been made a few times that because the conference is looking at data from openly accessible sources only, then it follows that it is unproblematic. This is an error - just because data is freely and legally accessible it does not follow for a responsible researcher that there are no ethical issues involved with engaging with that data. I am aware of no *law* in the UK which would prevent me from building a corpus of everyday speech, collected covertly, and making it freely accessible for public use. Yet it is generally accepted that it would be unethical for me to do so. Even if someone could mount a legal challenge to the data collection in this example, it is but one example - the general point holds. Ethics and the law are separable. What is ethical may not necessarily be legal (think of issues of confidentiality in journalism, for example) and what is legal may not necessarily be ethical (I am driven to recall cases of bankers getting big bonuses to reward them for the chaos they have caused to the world financial system).

I should say I have no problem with the conference per se. I am sure that all involved in it are thoroughly good sorts. However, I know that if in the UK anyone applied for a grant for research of this sort from a major funder they would almost certainly have to include a statement about the ethical and legal implications of their work. And quite right too in my view. I imagine that much of the work to be presented at this conference will probably have been through such a vetting process to ensure that it is both legal and ethical when it was funded - that for me strikes me as probably the best defence for the conference announcement as it stands. However, it might be an idea when such conferences are touching upon matter that most members of the public, if not the researchers themselves, view as being ethically sensitive, i.e. surveillance, that the conference makes reference to a set of ethical guidelines that it expects research presented at the conference to follow. Other organizations have ethical guidelines they encourage researchers to follow, for example BAAL in the UK has a superb best practice guide for researchers to help them negotiate such issues (see http://www.baal.org.uk/about_goodpractice.htm). It may be that a reference to similar guidelines relevant to the topic of the workshop might be useful in sensitive cases such as this.

Best,

Tony

P.S. And best wishes for the workshop - I am sure it will be a great success.