[Corpora-List] Call for Participation: ACL WMT 2010 Machine Translation Shared Task

Philipp Koehn pkoehn at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 08:00:11 UTC 2009

ACL 2010 FIFTH WORKSHOP ON STATISTICAL MACHINE TRANSLATION
Shared Task: Machine Translation for European Languages
July 15-16, in conjunction with ACL 2010 in Uppsala, Sweden

http://www.statmt.org/wmt10/translation-task.html

As part of the ACL WMT 2010 workshop, as in previous years, we organize
a shared task on machine translation between European language pairs.

Translation quality will be evaluated on an unseen test set of news stories.
We provide a parallel corpus as training data, a baseline system, and
additional
resources for download. Participants may augment the baseline system or use
their own system.

The goals of the shared translation task are:
    * To investigate the applicability of current MT techniques when
translating
       into languages other than English
    * To examine special challenges in translating between European languages,
       including word order differences and morphology
    * To create publicly available corpora for machine translation and machine
       translation evaluation
    * To generate up-to-date performance numbers for European languages in
       order to provide a basis of comparison in future research
    * To offer newcomers a smooth start with hands-on experience in
state-of-the-art
       statistical machine translation methods

We hope that both beginners and established research groups will participate
in this task.

You may participate in any or all of the following language pairs:
    * French-English
    * Spanish-English
    * German-English
    * Czech-English

For all language pairs we will test translation in both directions. To have a
common framework that allows for comparable results, and also to lower
the barrier to entry, we provide a common training set and baseline system.

Dates
    * December 4: Training data released
    * February 15: Test data released (available on this web site)
    * February 19: Results submissions
    * March 26: Short paper submissions (4 pages)

Organizers
    * Chris Callison-Burch (Johns Hopkins University)
    * Philipp Koehn (University of Edinburgh)
    * Christof Monz (University of Amsterdam)
    * Kay Peterson (NIST)