[Corpora-List] Disagreement / controversy corpus?

Matthew Purver mpurver at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 10:01:13 UTC 2009

You could also look at this paper which looks at a similar
agreement/disagreement task on the ICSI Meeting corpus:

http://nlp.stanford.edu/~mgalley/papers/acl04-agreement.pdf

Stefanie Tellex wrote:
> I believe the AMI meeting corpus also has some kind of
> agreement/disagreement annotations:  http://corpus.amiproject.org/
>
> There was a cool paper at ICMI this year about detecting agreement in
> dialog that used the annotations:
> http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/twilson/pubs/icmi-mlmi090.pdf
>
> Stefanie
>
> Ute Römer wrote:
>> Dear Steve,
>>

>> Not sure this is the kind of data you are looking for --- but all 152
>> transcripts forming the Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English
>> (MICASE, http://micase.elicorpora.info/) have been labeled for some 20
>> pragmatic features including “disagreement” and “sarcasm” (both
>> apparently not uncommon in academic speech...).
>>

>> You find the results of this pragmatic annotation in the MICASE
>> Handbook (R. Simpson-Vlach & S. Leicher, 2006, University of Michigan
>> Press). Part 4 of the Handbook includes a table, the “Pragmatic
>> Features Overview Chart”, that indicates which of the MICASE speech
>> events contain examples of disagreement etc. Once you’ve identified
>> relevant speech events, you can access the corresponding transcripts
>> through the MICASE browse interface at
>> http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/c/corpus/corpus?c=micase;page=mbrowse.
>> Let me know if you have any questions.
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Ute
>>

>> *********************************************************
>>

>> Dr. Ute Römer
>>
>> Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
>>
>> English Language Institute
>>
>> University of Michigan
>>
>> Email: uroemer at umich.edu <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu>
>>
>> Phone: +1 734 763 7133
>>
>> Fax: +1 734 763 0369
>> http://www.elicorpora.info
>>
>> http://www.uteroemer.com
>>

>> Surface mail address:
>>
>> Dr. Ute Römer
>>
>> University of Michigan
>>
>> English Language Institute
>>
>> 500 E. Washington Street
>>
>> Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2028
>>
>> USA

Matthew Purver - http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~mpurver/

Senior Research Fellow
Interaction, Media and Communication
Department of Computer Science
Queen Mary University of London, London E1 4NS, UK