[Corpora-List] New corpus of linguistics conference transcripts freely available!

Ute Römer uroemer at umich.edu
Mon Feb 9 21:19:03 UTC 2009

Dear all,

This is to let you know that the John Swales Conference Corpus (JSCC) is now
freely available for download from  <http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download>
http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download (click on the "Download the corpus"
button).

The corpus contains the transcribed proceedings (presentations and Q&A
sessions) of a conference that took place at the University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor in June 2006 to celebrate the official retirement of Professor John
Swales. It is the first publically available corpus of its kind.

I would like to thank a number of people who were involved in the
compilation of the JSCC:

- Begoña Bellés-Fortuño, Inmaculada Fortanet-Gómez and Christine A. Räisänen
for video-taping the conference presentations that comprise the JSCC,

- Universitat Jaume I in Castellón, Spain, for providing part of the funding
for the transcription of the JSCC recordings,

- Stephen DiDomenico, Caitlin Gdowski, Reese Havlatka, Kristen Keller, and
Mercedes Querol-Julián and other researchers from GRAPE (Group for Research
on Academic and Professional English, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón, Spain)
for creating the transcripts,

- former and present ELI Corpus Linguistics post-doctoral research fellows
Stefanie Wulff and Matthew Brook O’Donnell, and ELI Corpus Linguistics
research assistants Miranda Kozman and Jesse Sielaff for checking the
transcripts against the audio files and for doing the XML encoding and
validation,

and, of course, John Swales for supporting the project at all stages!

A first journal article (by Stefanie Wulff, John Swales and Kristen Keller)
based on the JSCC will be published in the next issue of English for
Specific Purposes and I look forward to seeing more studies that explore the
language of the JSCC presentations and Q&A sessions! I would appreciate it
if you let me know (or email elicorpora at umich.edu) about any presentations
or publications that make use of the corpus.

With thanks and best wishes,

Ute

Dr. Ute Römer

Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
English Language Institute
University of Michigan

Email:  <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu
Phone: +1 734 763 7133