[Corpora-List] Frequency lists

CRuehlemann at aol.com CRuehlemann at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 09:48:05 UTC 2009

Dear All

I'm interested in two questions related to word frequency lists:

(i) The published frequency lists I am aware of include  the following few:
BNC-based:
Kilgarriff, A.  (1998). ‘BNC database and word frequency lists.’
_http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html_
(http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/bnc-readme.html)

Leech, G., P. Rayson and A. Wilson. (2001). Word Frequencies in  Written and
Spoken English: Based on the British National Corpus. London:  Longman

ICE-based:
McCarthy, M. J.  (1998). Spoken Language and Applied Linguistics. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press

Could anybody point me to more word frequency  lists available either in
print or on the  internet?

(ii) As far as I know,  the definite article the tops most word frequency
lists derived from general corpora. Is anybody aware of any published  in-depth
discussion of this finding in terms of reference, be  it anaphoric, cataphoric
or  deictic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. A summary will be  posted.

Chris