[Corpora-List] Language used in Patents

Eva D'hondt e.dhondt at let.ru.nl
Thu Feb 26 11:02:18 UTC 2009

Hello,

We have just started a project here at the Radboud University of Nijmegen
that deals with Passage Retrieval and Text Mining in patent texts. I was
wondering if anyone could point me to some literature/research/interesting
facts on the linguistic and statistical characteristics of the language used
in patent texts (e.g. frequency and hierarchical organisation of
PP-attachments, use of gerund clauses vs. the relative clause with an
inflected verb, average sentence length in the different sections, ... ).

I will of course post a summary of your replies on this list.

Thank you ever so much!

 Eva

Eva D'hondt, PhD student
Centre for Language and Speech Technology
University of Nijmegen
Email: e.dhondt at let.ru.nl