[Corpora-List] Call for participation: Morpho Challenge 2009

Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi
Fri Feb 27 11:19:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

Could you send this CFP to the corpora list.
Thanks,

   Mikko
http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2009/

Unsupervised Morpheme Analysis -- Morpho Challenge 2009

Part of the EU Network of Excellence PASCAL Challenge Program and
organized in c
ollaboration with CLEF. Participation is open to all.

The objective of the Challenge is to design a statistical machine
learning algor
ithm that discovers which morphemes (smallest individually meaningful
units of l
anguage) words consist of. Ideally, these are basic vocabulary units
suitable fo
r different tasks, such as text understanding, machine translation,
information
retrieval, and statistical language modeling.

The scientific goals are:
     * To learn of the phenomena underlying word construction in
natural language
     * To discover approaches suitable for a wide range of languages
     * To advance machine learning methodology

Morpho Challenge 2009 is a follow-up to our previous Morpho Challenge
2005, 2007
  and 2008. The task of Morpho Challenge 2009 is similar to the Morpho
Challenge
2008, where the aim was to find the morpheme analysis of the word
forms in the d
ata. There are some changes in the evaluation and a new Arabic task.
New *Machine Translation* tasks are added (from Finnish to English and
from German to English) to evaluate the performance of the morpheme
analysis.

Participation in the previous challenges is by no means a prerequisite
for parti
cipation in Morpho Challenge 2009. Everyone is welcome and we hope to
attract ma
ny participating teams. The results will be presented in a workshop.
Please read
  the rules and see the schedule at the home page. The datasets are
available for
  download.

If you now decided to participate in Morpho Challenge, please contact
the organi
zers and ask to be added in our mailing list. We will use this mailing
list to p
rovide news about the tasks, data and evaluations.

We are looking forward to an interesting challenge!

     Mikko Kurimo, Sami Virpioja and Ville Turunen
     Adaptive Informatics Research Centre, Helsinki University of Technology
     The organizers

http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2009/