[Corpora-List] copyright issues

Alexandre Rafalovitch arafalov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:19:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Francis Tyers <ftyers at prompsit.com> wrote:
> El vie, 27-02-2009 a las 13:21 +0100, Christian Chiarcos escribió:
>
>> At least for this reason, it's safer to ask for a written agreement from
>> the publisher stating explicitly what you're allowed to do with the data.
>
> Or, taking us back to the beginning of the thread, even safer to
> annotate texts which don't have these restrictions :)

Which is why I think that the recent moves by USA government and
Sunlight Foundation to open up government documents are exciting.
Those documents are by law public domain, they have non-trivial
research issues and working on them may even be important for general
public.

As an example, I believe Obama administration is planning to put
proposed legislations for a public review. Anything that can run
through those texts and pick up named entities, locations, timelines,
etc would be an interesting research project. There might even be
grants from, for example, newspapers interested in visualisations of
those proposals.

Regards,
    Alex.