[Corpora-List] History of POS tagging

Serge Sharoff S.Sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 16:38:19 UTC 2009

I think we're getting into the 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch.
This is what we dug up as a reference for our tagger:
@Article{nikolaeva58,
  author = 	 {Nikolaeva, T.N.},
  title = 	 {Soviet developments in machine translation: {Russian} sentence analysis},
  journal = 	 {Mechanical Translation},
  year = 	 1958,
  volume = 	 5,
  number = 	 2,
  pages = 	 {51--59},
  url = 	 {http://www.mt-archive.info/MT-1958-Nikolaeva.pdf}
}

however, I'm sure any early MT system not based on a full-form lexicon used a tagger of some sort.
Serge