[Corpora-List] extrapolating to 1 million

James L. Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:30:27 UTC 2009

Hi, Adam,

Well, I think and believe, so to speak, that that may depend on just how
large the numbers are: if we're talking about *the* most frequent words (pun
intended) (eg, so-called 'stop words'), we can be fairly sure of finding at
least similar frequencies. I'll grant you some exceptions for, say, that
book written so as not to have any e's. If that's your corpus (and other
similar texts), then 'the' won't appear, and so won't be the commonest word.
For any other non-artificial corpus, it would be surprising indeed if 'the'
weren't the most, or at worst second-most, common word (of course, talking
about English corpora). On the other hand, we would *expect* a decent amount
of variation in place of, say, the twentieth word, and not be surprised if
in another biggish corpus it came in 15th or 25th. If it came in, say,
1000th in a second corpus, we could be damned sure that it's a very 'bursty'
sort of word, and we just got unlucky (?or lucky?) in our first corpus.
Likewise, the further down the list we go, the bigger we would expect the
variation to be.

I'm not disputing, really, what you say. It's partly a question of focus,
perhaps, and the question of  'burstiness' is obviously very important in,
say, dividing up subcorpora by the field they belong to. I'm just saying, I
guess, that linguists may very well study, in depth, 'stop words', while
corpus linguists are most unlikely to study them, since they usually look
for other things in their corpora.

Jim