[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Fukun Xing xingfukun001 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:47:05 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,
   I am puzzled with the part of speech of "chief" in the phrase "the chief
executive officer". In the Penn Treebank "chief" in the phrase sometimes is
tagged as "JJ" and sometimes tagged as "NN". Could you tell me how you will
tag it and why. And is it safe to say that there are some PoS ambiguities,
which can not even be solved by human, in English. I know that it maybe true
in Chinese that sometimes it is impossible for human to decide the right pos
of some words. For example, "一件 包装/v n 精美 的 礼品" (1. a present with wonderful
decoration. 2. a prsent decorated wonderfully)In this sentence
"包装"(decorate/decoration) can be tagged as noun or verb, both are right,
which cannot affected right understanding of the sentence. If there is such
thing in English can you give some examples?
 Thanks in advance!

Xing