[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Nov 2 14:37:13 UTC 2009

Mike Scott wrote:
> (1) church tower
> (2) tall tower
> it is clear that (2) is adjectival, but in the case of (1) some
> linguistic theories will call church a noun (because that word-form
> arguably is mainly used for nouns) while others would call it an
> adjective because it is here premodifying a noun. The former theories
> seem to act as if word-forms had a primary POS, rather as people have
> their gender determined before birth, while latter theories allow for
> the possibility that words may swing both ways, so to speak, depending
> on the company they keep.

Another difference between the two sets of theories is that the first
theory says that phrase structure either allows for alternative
"fillers", i.e. a rule like
    NP --> Det {Adj|N}* N
whereas the second theory says that in any given position, only one type
of category can appear.  (I'm assuming a phrase structure theory here--I
don't know enough about dependency grammar to say how this would carry
over.)

Actually, there is another analysis of (1) and (2) that is probably
better: a rule like
    NP --> Det Adj* N+
(that's a flat version; one might have intermediate levels of
structure).  This analysis would account for the following distinction:
    a tall church tower
   *a church tall tower

Of course another distinction between 'church' and 'tall' in the above
examples is that 'tall', but not 'church', allows pre-modification by
words like 'very', 'really', 'extremely', 'slightly'.  I don't see how
this result would follow if 'church' were an adjective in this environment.

> The second aspect concerns the information supplied in the context or
> inferable from it. In the case of (3) ... chief distribution ...
> English simply does not tell us without more context whether we are
> talking of the way chiefs (e.g. tribal chiefs) are distributed through a
> population or territory, or whether we are talking of the main patterns
> of distribution of something. Either way, chief premodifies
> distribution. In POS tagging for such a case, the context may or may not
> disambiguate so POS tagging will necessarily, for those linguists who
> think word-forms have a predetermined POS, be varied.

True.  A drawback from an engineering point of view, but not necessarily
from a linguist's point of view.
--
    Mike Maxwell (the other Mike)
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?