[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Xing Fukun xingfukun001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:26:02 UTC 2009

Hi Huei-Chi,
    I agree that "自然" in this sentence can be tagged as noun or proper noun. Whether the ambiguity can be resolved depended on the rule. If you have a rule to tag it as a noun or proper noun in such contexts the ambiguity will be solved consistently and it doesn't affect the analysis of the phrase structure. It is not the same in the following phrase.

>2) The sentence 一件 包装 精美 的 礼品 is a NP whose structure is [[一M 件Q [包装 V [精美A 的 DE 礼品N]]]] NP. So, the word 包装 should be tagged as verb.
How do you parse the following 2 phrases and what is the relation between "价格" and “昂贵”,“加工”and“精细”.
一件 价格 昂贵 的 礼品
一件 加工 精细 的 礼品

BTW, my analysis of the structure of 一件 包装 精美 的 礼品 is :
[一件M [[[包装N V 精美A] 的DE] 礼品N]]NP

Best
Fukun

Xing Fukun