[Corpora-List] Quick (but possibly clueless) software question

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:23:41 UTC 2009

2009/11/4 Spruiell, William C <sprui1wc at cmich.edu>:
> Are there any available corpus analysis tools

You'd have to narrow what kind of tool you are talking about.

> that work by “farming” texts
> out to client programs on multiple computers (workstation cluster, beowulf,
> or just widely distributed)  and then collating the results

I suspect that various semantic search companies have solved
this in proprietary ways for parsing text.

For open source, I know that Boris Iordanov has done this for
parsing text, to provide Dade county (Miami Florida) with a simple
web-based question answering service for local government
services.  I believe that there are now other local governments
also looking at this (??? in California??).  His system is tailored
for the RelEx +Link-Grammar parser combo.

> (like the
> screensaver freeware that the SETI project distributed so that anyone
> interested could volunteer to do some of their signal analysis for them)?

Well, there's also BOINC and other distributed systems that
allow anyone to "easily" write distributed applications.

--linas