[Corpora-List] Quranic Arabic Corpus – Version 0.1 Released

El-Haj, Mahmoud melhaj at essex.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 16:50:52 UTC 2009

Dear Kais,

First of all congratulations, this is indeed a huge effort and a very helpful website.

I worked on Quranic Arabic NLP for a while where I was mainly focusing on information retrieval and Quranic Thesaurus search in addition to Tajweed rules extraction.
I went through some chapters in your corpus and I have some concerns which I'll be happy if you could answer them to me.

Did you kept the Othmanic font? as some of the words misses the "Maddah" which is a character used instead of the Alef. For example:

                 الكوثر الآية 1         أَعْطَيْنَٰكَ
هود الآية 48            يَٰنُوحُ

are all written without the maddah, even with the existence of the diacritics still this could lead to different meanings.
The other thing is have you tried to chop the affixes such as (و) and (يا)  I can see it perfectly described in the morphology but I guess having a light stemmer could help. Finally, the existents of diacritics resolves a huge part of the ambiguity but unfortunately most of the text available online is written with the absence of those diacritics, I know your focus is mainly on Quranic Arabic but are you planning to provide the same annotated Quranic corpus but with the absence of diacritics so it could be helpful to other Arabic texts.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Mahmoud