[Corpora-List] summary of the replies to "the most user-friendly online corpora"

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 16:00:49 UTC 2009

Dear list members
To my recent query "the most user-friendly online corpora", I've received
the following responses of recommendations and testimonials. I would like
to thank all of them and share the replies with my corpora colleagues as
follows:
1. Mark Davies recommended some corpora including BYU-BNC, Corpus of
Contemporary American English (COCA) and TIME Corpus which are available at
http://corpus.byu.edu
2 Linda Bawcom testified the user-friendliness of BYU-BNC, and COCA and
Carmela Chateau testified the user-friendliness of BYU-BNC
3. Brett Thomas introduced the recently-updated WordbanksOnline corpus of
international English, containing some 550 million words,available as a free
trial at http://www.collinslanguage.com/wordbanks/subscribe/trial.aspx
 4. Adam Kilgarriff advised me to use the Sketch Engine through which
several corpora can be used including the BNC, the BoE, and some other
corpora of languages including Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and Persian (Korean
to follow within a year) and  some tools for instant web-corpus building and
terminology-extraction. The Sketch Engine is available at
http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/ .
All the best
Xiaotian Guo
SOAS & New Vision Language Centre