[Corpora-List] Proposal for initiating a global non continentalArabic Language Academy

Oliver Mason O.Mason at bham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 17:57:15 UTC 2009

Dear Hamed,

as I understood Tony, he suggested to not limit the membership of this
prospective NGO to people belonging to either a particular religion or
ethnic group.

While most speakers of Arabic may be either Arabs or Muslims, or even
both, there will also be non-Arab speakers of Arabic who also might be
non-Muslims.  These you would exclude with your current proposal.  Why
not leave it open to anybody who can speak Arabic?  You do not lose
anything, but may gain a lot, as Tony suggested.

Best wishes,
Oliver

2009/11/16 Hamed Al-Suhli <hamed at e3rab.com>:
> Dear Tony,
> Salam,
>
> You have a point, but As you know there is no Arabic Language speaker but
> there are persons who could understand Arabic language and write it, most of
> them are Arabs whome are not necessarily Muslims, but the non Muslim Arabs
> are less than non Arabs Muslims who can understand Arabic, and all Muslims
> consider Arabic as central Language for understand Islam.
> Also non Muslim Arabs have Islamic culture, so they don't have essential
> problems with Islamic umbrella "Lebanon is a member of OIC oic-oic.org".
>
> in short word Standard Arabic "ALfussha" is more important to non Arabic
> Muslims than non Muslims Arabs.
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Mcenery, Tony
> <eiaamme at exchange.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Hamed,
>>

>> An interesting idea – I think most people would certainly welcome the
>> development of a trans-national language academy for a trans-national
>> language. But would it not be better if your goal was to build an academy
>> for all speakers of Arabic, whether they are Muslim or not? I think that
>> would be quite in line with the finest historical examples of inclusiveness
>> in scholarship in the Arabic speaking world. Best,
>>

>> Tony

Dr Oliver Mason
Technical Director of the Centre for Corpus Research
School of English, Drama, and ACS
The University of Birmingham
Birmingham B15 2TT