[Corpora-List] Open source multilingual syntactic parser

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 02:55:55 UTC 2009

2009/11/27 pablo gamallo <pablo.gamallo at usc.es>:

> DepPattern is available with GPL license at:
> http://gramatica.usc.es/pln/tools/deppattern.html

Thanks!

A quick glance suggests that this parser is generating
dependencies that are similar to, but different from those
of other dependency parsers.   Is there any effort anywhere
to  standardize on the set of dependencies generated?

I maintain a rule-based dependency parser (RelEx) and
recently added a "Stanford Parser compatibility mode"
because the RelEx dependencies are slightly different,
and, because from an engineering standpoint, compatibility
is something that users like.  (And, yes, I actually learned a lot
by looking at how these two systems differed.)

I wrote up what I found here:

http://opencog.org/wiki/Dependency_relationship

which describes RelEx, and how it differs from the
Stanford parser (and from MiniPar)

I would be vaguely interested in creating a "DepPattern"
compatibility mode, if that was the right thing to do --
is it?  But perhaps it would be better if all dependency
parsers moved to a common set of dependencies and
feature sets?

Is there a more detailed description of DepPattern's
dependency output? It is hinted at in section 1.8.1 of
the user guide -- features, such as lemma, number,
person, tense, genre, possessor, politeness, type -- the
first 4 I can guess, the last 4 are ???

The relations: SubjL SpecL, DobjR differ significantly from
those of minipar or stanford (or relex).  I imagine (perhaps
I'm wrong) that at least the indoeuropean languages could
probably share a fairly generic set of dependencies (??)
(If not, why not?)

-- Linas