[Corpora-List] MT and Computational Linguistics Opportunity - Applied Language

Grace Chatten (Applied Language) grace.chatten at appliedlanguage.com
Tue Aug 3 10:43:37 UTC 2010

Dear All,

Applied Language Solutions is one of the fastest growing language companies
in the world and the proud recipient of a Queens Award for Enterprise, our
clients include the likes of Nike, Google, CAT and in June 2010 Applied
Language Solutions was informed that the business had been selected by LOGOC
as the sole supplier of translation services for the London 2012 games. We
have been active in the past two years in Machine Translation and
specifically the Post Editing of the output. This is increasingly becoming
the core strategy of the business and as such have implemented the Moses SMT
engine to sit alongside our other technologies such as Translation Memory.
We are building language specific models for individual clients and are
looking at ways to improve the automated process as much as possible. We
have 13 software engineers in-house working on our translation technology
and believe we are at the cutting edge of the industry.

There are a number of projects we are working on that we feel there may be
benefit for both us and students in getting practical experience on applying
MT and related activities in the commercial world:

   - Controlled Authoring for improved MT output
   - Use of automated pre-processing rules with NLP for improved source
   contents
   - Integration of TM for building language models on the fly
   - Collecting corpora by crawling niche sites to build tight models for
   industry/clients
   - Weighting of corpora in different ways to achieve better models
   - Better enforcement of terminology/glossary terms within models
   - Post processing rules using NLP and other methods
   - Different automated scoring methods for measuring MT output
   - Automated and manual feedback from the Post Editing process to improve
   models

These are the broad areas we are looking at currently have the opportunity
for a discussion around a role within Applied Language surrounding MT. We
would also welcome any students to come and work with us in these areas or
any others around Machine Translation that may improve process and quality
in a commercial environment.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, also please feel free to respond
to my email too.

Many thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindest regards,

Grace Chatten
Staff Champion
grace.chatten at appliedlanguage.com
Skype ID: grace.chatten_appliedlanguage
Tel: +(0)844 888 7206

Applied Language Solutions
High quality language solutions delivered on time...with a smile!

www.appliedlanguage.com
Tel (UK): +44 (0)845 367 7000
Tel (US): +1 (800) 579-5010

Riverside Court, Huddersfield Road, Delph, Oldham, OL3 5FZ. UK
Registered in the UK 5122429

Pride in everything we do | Respect everyone like a friend
Think of the environment; please don't print this e-mail unless you really
need to.