[Corpora-List] Spelling variants in english

John Burger john at mitre.org
Mon Aug 9 15:00:10 UTC 2010

Galibert Olivier wrote:

> For speech recognition evaluation issues, I was wondering if a
> resource exists listing spelling variants where the meaning is the
> same and the pronunciation identical or close, such as organisation/
> organization or manilla/manila. What currently seems to exist in the
> ASR domain itself is more along the lines of what has been actually
> encountered in the evaluations and nothing systematic. Do anybody
> here knows of such lists?

Your first example seems to have to do with British/American spelling
variation.  For this, I have had some success using the following
resource:

   http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/

In particular, the VarCon entry on that page is a collection of about
18,000 British/American/Canadian spelling variants.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE