[Corpora-List] Patent application for "Referent tracking of portions of reality"

Christopher Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 15:06:05 UTC 2010

Blimey - do I have to pay them a royalty every time I use Wordsmith Tools to
comment on how the Guardian Weekly reports on reality?  Somehow I don't feel
that this will wash...

C:
--
IN CHESHIRE TODAY

Dr Christopher Tribble
EMAIL	|| ctribble at clara.co.uk
WEB	|| www.ctribble.co.uk
BLOG	|| http://ctribble.blogspot.com

See
> the second URL and abstract below.
>
> John Sowa
>
> http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-
> Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-

bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22ceusters,+werner%22.IN.&OS=IN/%2
> 2ceusters,+werner%22&RS=IN/%22ceusters,+werner%22
>
> US Patent Application 20090055437, February 26, 2009
>
> Inventors:  Ceusters; Werner M.R.; (Buffalo, NY) ; Manzoor; Shahid;
> (Amherst, NY) ; Smith; Barry; (Williamsville, NY)
>
> REFERENT TRACKING OF PORTIONS OF REALITY
>
> Abstract
>
> Management of information is facilitated by unambiguously tracking
portions
> of reality over time. To track the portions of reality, a referent
tracking
> system is used. The referent tracking system is able to communicate with
> other tracking systems and/or tradition information systems. Errors in the
> referent tracking system are detected and corrected to maintain actual
> representations of the portions of reality.
>
> http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7493253.html
>
> US Patent 7493253, Conceptual world representation natural language
> understanding system and method
>
> Date Issued: February 17, 2009
> Application: 10/193,886
> Filed: July 12, 2002
> Inventors: Ceusters; Werner (Zonnegem, BE) ; O'Donnell; Mick (Tres Cantos,
> ES) ; Montyne; Frank (Deurle, BE) ; Coppens; Frederik (Haaltert,
> BE) ; Van Mol; Maarten (Holsbeek, BE)
>
> Abstract
>
> A Natural Language Understanding system is provided for indexing of free
> text documents. The system according to the invention utilizes
typographical
> and functional segmentation of text to identify those portions of free
text
> that carry meaning. The system then uses words and multi-word terms and
> phrases identified in the free to text to identify concepts in the free
> text. The system uses a lexicon of terms linked to a formal ontology that
is
> independent of a specific language to extract concepts from the free text
> based on the words and multi-word terms in the free text. The formal
> ontology contains both language independent domain knowledge concepts and
> language dependent linguistic concepts that govern the relationships
between
> concepts and contain the rules about how language works. The system
> according to the current invention may preferably be used to index medical
> documents and assign codes from independent coding systems, such as,
SNOMED,