[Corpora-List] Query-By-Example (QBE) -like GUI to query corpora ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:39:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 9:04 AM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>>>
>>> The point I make in this paper is that logic and ontology are both
>>> abstractions *from*  language --*not*  the foundations for language.
>>
>> Exactly!!! I would just change the wildly overused and overrated word
>> "abstractions" for -generalizations- and I explain in that draft of
>> my paper how it happens. There is absolutely nothing "abstract" our
>> semiosis/communication
>
> We largely agree.  The disagreement arises from two polysemous words:
> 'generalization' and 'abstraction".
~
 Yeah, polysemous words! ;-)
~
> I used the word 'generalization'
> in the sense that X is a generalization of Y iff every Y is an X.
~
 I don't use it in a formalized logical sense, but more like in the
philosophical one I learned (and greatly revised/expanded/critically
enriched in a semiotics sense) from from this largely underrated
philosopher:
~
 marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/essays/essay11.htm
~

>>> No human being on earth can do that.  It should not be a criterion for an
>>> intelligent system.
>>
>> Actually this "we" (socially, culturally meant) do all the time,
>> e.g., when one authors anything...
>
> No author has been able to do that.  That ability would be worth
> billions in the entertainment industry.
~
 Well, actually; I think I wasn't clear here. I did not mean to say
that authors (in the music industry or of any other kinds) have some
kind of oracle or crystal ball to determine what is going to gain in
currency in the future, but that authors actually by selflessly and
mindfully immersing themselves in the complex, antagonistic
interactions of their particular zeitgeist, become themselves mediums
as part of those "oracles" that -semantically- enrich our reality
~
 lbrtchx