[Corpora-List] Query-By-Example (QBE) -like GUI to query corpora ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:39:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 6:39 AM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>>
>> ... authors actually by selflessly and
>> mindfully immersing themselves in the complex, antagonistic
>> interactions of their particular zeitgeist, become themselves mediums
>> as part of those "oracles" that -semantically- enrich our reality
>
> On that point, I completely agree.
>
> But I would generalize the word 'author' to include any speaker
> or writer of any natural language.  All applications of language
> to new situations (and most situations are new in some respect)
> "semantically enrich our reality."
>
> And I regard the work on corpora as contributions to collecting,
> organizing, and finding new ways to process the records of those
> semantic enrichments.
>
> John
~
 Well, I guess we would differ on more than polysemy/terminology on that count.
~
 I think there definitely is such a difference between what I call
"authoring" and "actualizing" both in semantic and syntactic senses
that it would call of some terminological commitments
~
 Max Planck authored (discovered/proved) through black-body radiation
experiments the essential physical relationship between the thermo-,
electro- magnetic and quantum nature of radiation. His professors
Hermann von Helmholtz and Gustav Kirchhoff and the mathematician Karl
Weierstrass contributed to/participated on that authoring as well, but
they were not the ones that formulated that relationship in a
magically simple formula (from which Einsteins mass-Energy
relationship can be deduced using de Broglie's wave-quanta
relationship). Now, when we device say microwaves using that very
principle we are not authoring, but -actualizing-  it. Along the same
lines Tchaikovsky actually authored the Sugar plum fairy of the
Nutcracker (by contract!)
~
// __ Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite - 3 'Sugar Plum Fairy' * Volker
Hartung & Cologne New Philharmonic
~
 youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4t3C_gCCY
~
 Sverre Indris Joner arrangement (the piano player) is a great
-actualization- of it
~
// __ Sugarplum Fairy from Nutcracker as salsa
~
 youtube.com/watch?v=GcC_F3f3JPw
~
 If I am forced to briefly explain myself (ab)using known terminology
I would say that semantics (like syntax (in their broad semiotic
senses)) has a logically open, diachronic closure as well as an
interdependent iterative, internal logically circumscribed/confined
articulation which actualizations, as we communicate, we exhaust
towards relatively radical changes (in the sense that we cannot
-semantically- resolve those conflicts with the syntactic
tools/understanding we previously deviced (what Thomas Kuhn calls
"scientific revolutions", which like "discoveries" are essentially
semantic))
~
 lbrtchx