[Corpora-List] Linguistics, corpus linguistics, and diglossia

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 11:57:58 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 2:04 AM, Damir C'avar wrote:
> I think this is rather right in the sense of: using existing corpora
> for the generation of colloquial language dictionaries. Creating
> corpora from data collected via transcripts of questionnaires,
> recordings, interviews etc. to get some quantities out of it might be
> helpful. But, qualitative data is what counts most in common such
> compilations, corpora are less relevant here, fieldwork is crucial, in
> particular in what Mike mentions, a diglossic situation. Corpora might
> be helpful as organizations of the collected data for extraction of
> further details, but they do not seem to be at the core of such an
> endeavor.
     I don't get this.  Why are corpora "less relevant" in a diglossic
situation?  Why aren't qualitative data just as important in other
situations?

     If we're going to have different procedures for making
dictionaries, it's important to come up with a more rigorous set of
criteria for when a language community is diglossic.  Why do people say
that France is diglossic but the United States is not?  Is France as
diglossic as German-speaking Switzerland?  Where is the line - or at
least, where do various language communities like Croatia and the
western Punjab fit on the continuum?

     And if France is indeed diglossic, does that mean that the /Trésor
de la langue française/ was a misguided endeavor because a corpus was at
its heart?

     I don't mean to discount the value of qualitative data; if
anything, I think they're relevant in a wider range of situations than
they're typically used in.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com