[Corpora-List] University of Sheffield Prize Lectureships in Engineering: Possible Position(s) in Natural Language Processing (Deadline March 5)

Robert Gaizauskas r.gaizauskas at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat Feb 13 08:50:35 UTC 2010

*** Apologies for cross-postings ***

The Engineering Faculty at the University of Sheffield
<http://www.shef.ac.uk/> has announced 5 prize lectureships across 7
Engineering departments, including the Department of Computer Science
<http://www.shef.ac.uk/dcs/>, which contains a strong research group in
Natural Language Processing.  The key criterion is the "capacity to make
an outstanding contribution to the Faculty, and the University, as a
research-led academic".

These lectureships come with a very attractive startup package including
(from the job advert):

- an open-ended lectureship appointment within one of our seven
departments.
- an allocation of funded PhD places to support your research.
- a research start-up grant of £40K to £100K.
- reduced teaching and administrative duties for the first 3 years.
- access to a mentoring scheme tailored to suit your individual needs.

Appointment can be at the Lecturer or Senior Lecturer/Reader grade.
Closing date is  *** March 5 2010 ***.

The NLP group is one of the largest and most successful language
processing groups in the UK and has a strong global reputation.
Interests include:
    * Information extraction, text mining and semantic annotation,
question answering, summarization.
    * Language Resources and Architectures for NLP (we are the home of
GATE <http://gate.ac.uk/>, the General Architecture for Text Engineering)
    * Human-Computer Dialogue Systems
    * Detection of Reuse and Anomaly in Text
    * Machine translation
    * Various foundational topics, including word sense disambiguation,
semantics of time and events.

See http://nlp.shef.ac.uk <http://nlp.shef.ac.uk/> for further details
about the NLP group.  The group will enthusiastically support
applications from oustanding candidates with interests in computational
linguistics, natural language processing, language processing or
information retrieval.

Further details about the Prize lectureships can be found at:
https://jobs.shef.ac.uk/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9NEI2MDU0MkM0NzEzMDgwMEUxMDAwMDAwOEZBNzAxNDQmY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3d%3d&sap-client=400&sap-language=EN&sap-accessibility=X&sap-ep-themeroot=%2fSAP%2fPUBLIC%2fBC%2fUR%2fuos

I am happy to try to answer any questions interested applicants might have.

Sincerely

Rob Gaizauskas
Professor in Computer Science and Head of the NLP group