[Corpora-List] Can corpora help to distinguish a dialect and a language?

Sandra Kuebler skuebler at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 15 17:27:03 UTC 2010

W. Browne  updated Weinreich's criteria in 2002,  to include ``an
airline ..., a seat in the United Nations, and a soccer team with the
national colors''.

I leave it up to the interested reader to decide how serious he was.

@book{browne:02,
   author =       {W. Browne},
   title =        {What is a standard language good for, and who gets
to have one?},
   publisher = {Department of Slavic and East European Languages and
Literatures, The Ohio State University},
   address = {Columbus, Ohio (USA)},
   year =         2002,
   series = {The Kenneth E. Naylor Memorial Lecture Series in South
Slavic Linguistics},
  number = 3
}

Sandra