[Corpora-List] announcing pukwac and wackypedia

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Mon Jan 4 16:40:04 UTC 2010

A current trend in lexicography (Atkins & Rundell, The Oxford Guide to
Practical Lexicography) is the association of "constructions" to word
senses. IMHO, once a reasonably comprehensive picture of syntactic
constructions is developed (via dependency structures), we are in a much
better position to focus on semantic properties (e.g., frame elements in
a FrameNet sense). Perhaps we can even determine the meaning of life.

    Ken

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> 2010/1/4 Eric Atwell <csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk>:
>
>> What do you see these being used for? What are the useful applications of
>> dependency-parsed treebanks?
>>

> My apologies in advance for excessive posting, but this seem important:
>
> -- In August 2008, there was a long "Bootcamp" discussion on this mailing
> list, on the meaning and nature of corpus linguistics, which was provoked
> by Bill Louw when he more or less proclaimed that collocation is everything
> to corpus linguistics.
>
> I tried (but failed) to get a point across: "gee wouldn't it be neat if one
> could do collocation, concordance, *and* have tags indicating whether
> a word had been identified as a subject, object, prepositional object,
> etc."  Exactly what sort of discoveries might be made more easily,
> as a result of this, I don't know. What sort of traps and pitfalls might
> await from using such markup -- especially when the markup is faulty --
> fertile ground for debate. But, in general, performing collocation-like
> analysis of tagged, structured, text seems to provide extra possibilities
> that aren't easily available from bare-naked text.
>
> --linas

Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog