[Corpora-List] Call for Participation: SemEval task "Linking Events and their Participants in Discourse"

Caroline Sporleder csporled at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Mon Jan 25 14:35:52 UTC 2010

          Call for Participation

       SemEval-2010 Shared Task #10:
 Linking Events and their Participants in Discourse

 http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/

   --- Training Data now available ---

This shared task should appeal to researchers working on:

 * semantic role labelling (FrameNet or PropBank)
 * co-reference resolution, or
 * information extraction.

==========
Background
==========

Semantic role labelling (SRL) has traditionally been viewed as a
sentence-internal problem. However, it is clear that there is an interplay
between local semantic argument structure and the surrounding discourse.
In this shared task, we would like to take SRL beyond the domain of
isolated sentences by linking local semantic argument structures to the
wider discourse context. In particular, we aim to find fillers for roles
which are left unfilled in the local context (null instantiations, NIs).
An example is given below, where the "charges" role ("arg2" in PropBank)
of "cleared" is left empty but can be linked to "murder" in the previous
sentence:

   In a lengthy court case the defendant was tried for murder.
   In the end, he was cleared.

======================
Short Task Description
======================

Participants can tackle either (or both) of the following two tasks, which
will be evaluated independently:

Full Task:
----------

The test set will be annotated with gold standard frames. For each lexical
unit annotated with a frame, participants have to:

 * find the semantic arguments (role recognition)
 * label them with the correct role (role labelling)
 * find links between null instantiated roles and their fillers in the
   wider discourse context if such links exist (NI linking)

NIs-only Task:
--------------

The test set will be annotated with gold standard local semantic argument
structure; only the fillers of null instantiations have to be found.

NOTE: We provide the annotated data in both FrameNet and PropBank
style. Participants can choose with which framework they want to work.
The two frameworks are evaluated separately.

For more details see the task web site
(http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/) and the
following paper:

  Josef Ruppenhofer, Caroline Sporleder, Roser Morante, Collin Baker and
  Martha Palmer. "SemEval-2010 Task 10: Linking Events and Their
  Participants in Discourse". The NAACL-HLT 2009 Workshop on Semantic
  Evaluations: Recent Achievements and Future Directions (SEW-09),
  Boulder, Colorado, USA, June 4, 2009.
  http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~csporled/papers/sew09.pdf

=========
Data Sets
=========

We provide training and (later) test data of running text from the fiction
domain. The data sets are freely available and downloadable from the
SemEval website (http://semeval2.fbk.eu/semeval2.php). The training set
for both tasks is annotated with:

 * gold standard semantic argument structure (FrameNet and PropBank style)
 * linking information for null instantiations
 * co-reference chains (for evaluation purposes)

Participants are also free to make use of external resources, such as the
FrameNet (FN) or PropBank/NomBank releases. (We distribute the FN-style
training set with an intermediate FrameNet release (1.4 alpha)).

===============
Task Organisers
===============

Josef Ruppenhofer, Saarland University, Germany
Caroline Sporleder, Saarland University, Germany
Roser Morante, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Collin Baker, ICSI, Berkeley, USA
Martha Palmer, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA

=======
Contact
=======

If you are interested in participating in the shared task, please join our
Google group: http://groups.google.com/group/semeval2010-task10

Task #10 website: http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/

SemEval 2010 website: http://semeval2.fbk.eu/semeval2.php

Caroline Sporleder
Cluster of Excellence MMCI / Computational Linguistics,
Saarland University
csporled at coli.uni-sb.de
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~csporled