[Corpora-List] OTA corpora for web services

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 13:31:46 UTC 2010

Would you like to be able to develop an online service using data
provided from a stable, reliable and persistent data source?

The Oxford Text Archive (OTA) will be undergoing important developments
in the ways in which its resources are made available to users over the
coming months. This will be take place as part of the CLARIN initiative
to develop a more effective infrastructure for the use of language
resources and tools in research across Europe.

We will be applying the latest standards and technologies to ensure that
the corpora at the OTA can be accessed more easily and via the latest
generation of online services, with corpora made available at stable and
persistent locations via a secure access and authorization system.

What can you do?

- tell us which resources in the OTA you are interested in using, so we
can make sure that they are included in the first tranche of upgrades;
- deposit your corpus with the OTA if you would like us to make it
available in this framework;
- get in touch if you would like to know more!

We will simplify the processes to access resources by allowing online
tools and users to get instant access to many of the resources, using
their own institution's single sign-on. In the first case, this will
only work for universities in the UK which are part of the UK Access
Management Federation for Education and Research, but this will soon be
extended to other European countries, and eventually beyond. All
researchers will still be able to continue to access the OTA via the
existing framework.

Please take a look at the OTA website and let us know which of those
resources (corpora or other types of resource) around which you might
want to build web services.

We will also be making the corpora collected in TRACTOR, as part of the
TELRI project, available via the OTA. You can see a catalogue of these
resources at http://www.tractor.bham.ac.uk/.  Please let us know about
any of these that you are particularly keen to use.

Here are the relevant links:

OTA    http://www.ota.ox.ac.uk//
CLARIN    http://www.clarin.eu/
UK Access Management Federation