[Corpora-List] Request People Name Corpus (English)

Amaç Herdağdelen amac at herdagdelen.com
Mon Jun 14 18:04:52 UTC 2010

Hello,

I wasn't aware of Kantrowitz's Names Corpus so very recently (like two
days ago), I compiled a list of common English (American) names based on
the data provided by US Census Bureau (1990 census) and Social Security
Agency (popular baby names between 1960 and 2010).

I release these datasets and the code on GitHub. I also provide another
script which helps you to guess the gender of an unknown name X by
searching for phrases like "X himself", "X herself", "X and his *", "X and
her *" via Yahoo! BOSS API and comparing the hit counts. It's a very naive
method but I find its performance quite acceptable for my purposes.

The project is here: http://github.com/amacinho/Name-Gender-Guesser

Feel free to use and improve it!

Amaç Herdağdelen